Goodwill is indeed one of the greenest organizations on the planet, and our partnership with Dell helps us keep our planet even greener. The shared goals of the Dell Reconnect Program are to divert used computers and computer equipment from area landfills and provide consumer education on the importance of environmentally-responsible computer disposal. Dell Reconnect also helps create job opportunities for Iowans who have barriers to employment or independence.
How do I Recycle an Unwanted Computer?
- You can drop off your computer equipment at any Goodwill Industries of central Iowa retail store (excluding outlet), or at our Headquarters at 5355 N.W. 86th St., Johnston, IA.
- Consumers can also visit dell.com/reconnect to locate the most convenient drop-off location at any of the participating Goodwill donation centers and retail stores across the country.
- There is no charge for dropping off a computer at Goodwill. Any brand of used computer equipment is accepted.
- Customers may be able to deduct the value of the computer for tax purposes. Goodwill will provide donors with a receipt at the time of donation. Customers are encouraged to check with their tax advisors for more information.
What exactly is Dell Reconnect?
Dell Reconnect is a FREE computer recycling program for consumers and residents in central Iowa. The program is intended to raise awareness of the importance of responsible computer disposal and give Central Iowa residents a free and convenient way to do the right thing with their unwanted computer equipment.
Dell Reconnect is managed by Dell and Goodwill Industries. The program offers computer drop off locations for consumers throughout the United States, including 19 locations in central Iowa. The goal of the program is to keep used computers and computer equipment from landfills and to educate residents on the importance of proper computer recycling.
Significance of Program to the Region
- Proceeds recovered from the central Iowa program help support Goodwill Industries of Central Iowa’s job training and employment programs.
- Consumers can drop off computer equipment at any participating Goodwill location throughout central Iowa, or at more than 2,000 drop-off locations across the country.
- While computers are safe to use, they do contain some environmentally sensitive materials. These materials can be safely removed or recycled, but only if the computers are kept out of landfills in the first place. Dell Reconnect provides an environmentally responsible solution for diverting ewaste from landfills.
Why has Goodwill partnered with Dell to offer Dell Reconnect?
Dell has industry-leading experience in offering responsible consumer recycling programs that meet the highest standards of workplace and environmental safety. Working together, Goodwill and Dell can make free computer recycling available to more consumers and help raise consumer awareness about the importance of responsibly recycling used computers. With the help of programs like Dell Reconnect, Dell has recycled more than 1 billion pounds of unwanted equipment globally.
What Happens to Donated Computer Equipment?
Goodwill will accept and sort the donated computer equipment. The equipment will be responsibly recycled through Dell’s product recycling programs.
For additional information:
Web site: dell.com/reconnect
Goodwill Industries of Central Iowa: 515-265-5323