Goodwill Industries of Central Iowa offers flexible volunteer opportunities to work with your busy schedule, so that your time and skills will best support Goodwill’s mission. As a volunteer, your input will enhance our services and programs, making a difference in the lives of those we serve.
Through our volunteer program, we offer fun and hands-on opportunities that make a meaningful impact in central Iowa. Whether you are an individual interested in getting more involved in the community or a group looking to make a difference, Goodwill Industries of Central Iowa has an opportunity for you!
Volunteer opportunities are available at our retail stores, main headquarters, and at special events held throughout the year.
Who Can Volunteer?
- Court ordered individuals
- Students who need volunteer hours
- Volunteers must be age 16 to volunteer on their own.
- If younger than 16 you must be accompanied by a parent or part of a service group.
- Volunteers must sign up for a minimum of 10 hours.
How to Volunteer?
- An application form must be completed. Applications are available online with our 2016 Volunteer Application and at our stores.
- A background check is performed on all potential volunteers.
- Orientation and training are provided to all new volunteers.
1. Help at client events by chaperoning, serving food and interacting with clients. This is typically a 2-hour commitment.
2. Drive clients to and from events. Drive a Goodwill van to pick up 5-10 people who need transportation to one of our events. You don’t need a chauffeur’s license, just a clean driving record.
3. Sort donations, stock shelves, fill displays and clean in our stores. You choose the store and hours that work for you. You can volunteer on your own, with a friend or sign up a group.
4. Help our Shopgoodwill online auction department anytime between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. by photographing or packaging items or determining their value.
5. Organize a donation drive at your school or business. This is an easy and fun project that helps the environment by recycling and repurposing items as well as helping Goodwill generate inventory for our stores. The money that comes from store sales goes to support our job training and job placement programs.
How to sign up
- Fill out our application. Make sure you include a location, day and time, and an email address!
- Scan and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 515-265-0645.
- Wait until confirmation via email that you are approved to volunteer. If you don’t have an email, you will receive a confirmation call.
- Bring your confirmation letter with you on the first day you are scheduled to volunteer. Please note that volunteer applications may take 24-48 hours to process.
For further information, please email Rodney Tomlinson, Community Development Manager, or contact him at 515-265-5323 x265
Court Ordered Community Service Restitution volunteers: Goodwill offers a program for individuals to complete their court-ordered community service hours at any Goodwill retail store. For more information, or to schedule your community service, please contact Rodney Tomlinson at 515-265-5323 x265.