From May 6–13, Goodwill of Central Iowa will celebrate Goodwill Industries Week and the mission impact its work has provided. For 63 years, Goodwill of Central Iowa has provided skills training, employment placement and job training, and community-based services for individuals facing challenges to finding employment, including people with disabilities and disadvantages.
This year’s theme for the commemoration is Celebrating Our Communities, and Goodwill will focus on showing its appreciation to all the communities who support its mission through donating, shopping, volunteering, financially or other means, and the impact they have on Goodwill’s programs and services to transform lives here in Central Iowa.
The Goodwill Week schedule includes the following events:
Tuesday, May 8: Customer and Donor Appreciation Day
- Any donations made will receive a 25% off one item coupon valid in stores that day.
- Jewelry will have a special promotion of Buy One, Get One 50% Off, perfect timing for Mother’s Day shopping!
Wednesday, May 9: Program Participants Appreciation
- The Goodwill Career Connection Center in Newton will be hosting an employer spotlight with on-site interview opportunities. To learn more, contact the team at (641) 791-0424or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Goodwill Career Connection Center in Des Moines will launch a three-day series on perfecting your interview skills from 10 a.m. – noon. To reserve your spot, call (515) 953-6456or email email@example.com.
- Goodwill Career Connection Centers will have appreciation gifts for job seekers visiting the centers for assistance in the employment search.
- Internal events will celebrate our trainees at Goodwill of Central Iowa and their accomplishments in our training programs.
Thursday, May 10: Employee Appreciation Day
- Internal events will honor Goodwill of Central Iowa employees and their efforts to support our mission of helping individuals with barriers secure employment.
Friday, May 11: Community Appreciation Day
- Goodwill of Central Iowa employees are partnering with Dress for Success in an effort to give back to our communities and align with a mission close to our own. Each store and headquarters department will be selecting high need items to donate for women as they participate in job interviews.
- All vases are 50% off Friday, May 11 – Sunday, May 13 in Goodwill of Central Iowa stores in celebration of Mother’s Day.
Saturday, May 12: #StyledByGoodwill Store Workshops
- 11 a.m. – Shop curated home décor and accessories sourced by Tyler Wentworth of Wentworth Vintage and hear his thrift shopping secrets at the Johnston store location.
- 1 p.m. – As Seen on M.E.’s Megan Evans will host a pop-up clothing collection and providing styling sessions at the Jordan Creek store location.
Goodwill Industries Week has been observed by local Goodwill organizations for more than 60 years, and it serves as an opportunity to celebrate the communities who support it and raise awareness about the Goodwill mission.
Goodwill is made up of 162 autonomous, community-based nonprofit organizations that provide individuals and families with opportunities for economic self-sufficiency and improved quality of life. Last year, local Goodwill organizations collectively placed more than 288,000 people in employment in the United States and Canada. In addition, more than 65 million people used computers and mobile devices to access Goodwill education, training, mentoring and online learning services to strengthen their skills, and more than 2 million people received in person services.
Click here to find your closest Goodwill of Central Iowa location.